Thursday, May 05, 2005

The Ramada Plaza Hotel : A Cut Above the Rest

Yesterday, while Jeff was busy driving, I was put in charge of finding us a hotel in San Fran. I pulled out my handy AAA guide to Northern California and tried to find us a hotel that was close to the Castro without actually being in the Castro (we may be gay, but we aren't THAT gay). The Ramada Plaza Hotel Downtown seemed to be the perfect balance of close but not too close to San Fran's infamous gayborhood.

A few hours later, when we arrived at the Ramada, I realized that I booked us into the Ramada that was right around the corner from the Hastings Law School Dorms, where the big sister and I lived in during the summer of 2000.

Here's the thing about that coincidence...it means we are staying in the Tenderloin (aka: the worst part of San Fran).

Did I mention that a homeless person got stabbed to death outside of our building the day before Rachel and I left San Fran for good? As in...it happened RIGHT across the street from the Ramada???

Needless to say...we are now spending our second night in San Francisco at Beck's Motor Lodge...which is located right smack in the middle of the Castro.

2 Comments:

Anonymous MamaRu said...

Glad I didn’t know where you were staying last night. I do remember the neighborhood well – I bet some of your favorite homeless people are still there. Does S F still smell like pee?

Have fun.

10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

brian and i accidentally walked through the tenderloin the other week and we saw a lot of people selling drugs. a lot of people asked us if we wanted some drugs. no, we just wanted to go see tori amos. then, they shot us.

love,
adriana

1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home